Wednesday, January 5, 2011

You’re looking at Tiktaalik.

In brief, Tiktaalik was a prehistoric creature that was a halfway point in the development from fish to amphibians. 375 million years ago, these “fishapods” were a major step forward towards vertebrate life on land. Even though it was equipped with lungs, it’s doubtful that Tiktaalik ever left the water. Its weak limbs likely couldn’t support its whole weight. It was more likely relegated to shallow ponds or rivers, where its limbs helped it climb through detritus and its lungs made for easy breathing in oxygen poor waters.

Tiktaalik is also what I’ve named this blog, which I promise will not about my daily life. There will be no posts about my bad days, or pet photos, it will only be about my artwork. As you may know I have an actual website for the same purpose, but a blog is the most convenient way to present new work and announce upcoming shows and events.

So why name the blog Tiktaalik? Well, at one point, Tiktaalik was the most advanced form of vertebrate life on Earth. In a mere ten million years, however, something more advanced developed, with stronger legs and the ability to walk on land. This blog will not last that long, nor will it make any noticeable impact on evolutionary history. It will, however, present my new work better than the old website did, but it isn’t the final solution. When the time comes, like its namesake, Tiktaalik (the blog) will be replaced with something more advanced.

The idea is to incorporate a blog into the existing website, but making that happen is just not a priority right now. For now, this is it. Just until I get my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment